Around 80 people every day apply for Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) abroad after losing their passport or finding it is stolen. That is close to 29,000 a year! As well as being a huge inconvenience, replacing a passport can be costly. Here is some essential advice, if you find that you are suddenly without your passport while in a foreign country:

1. Get a Police Report

First and foremost you should get a police report. For insurance purposes, it is best to do this immediately and certainly within 24 hours if possible.  It will also validate your information should someone try to use your passport illegally.

It is also vital when without money and identification in a foreign country. You will also need to show your police report when you come to apply for an emergency passport/emergency travel document.

2. Contact your nearest Embassy, High Commission or Consulate

Once you’ve located the Embassy in the country you’re visiting, you will need to schedule an emergency appointment. Generally, appointments are available Monday-Friday mornings (excluding Holidays).  It’s also worth bearing in mind that consulate/embassy documentation will help support a travel insurance claim.

3. Apply for an Emergency Passport

This must be done in person and you will need to bring the following documentation with you to your appointment:

  • Complete an application form
  • Produce written evidence of your citizenship (e.g birth certificate, identity document, certified copy of passport, driver’s licence)
  • Provide a copy of the police report
  • A copy of your travel itinerary which includes your plans for leaving the country
  • Present two photographs
  • Pay the required fee